Genève Lake - Metal Sign - 26x40
Metal Sign / Plaque métallique / Metallschild
Size (cm) / Taille /Größe : 40 x 26.6
Known world-wide, the Geneva water jet is an attraction whose origins back to the end of the 19th century, following the construction of a hydraulic factory at La Coulevrenière. It is due to technical constraints - to control the water pressure - that a 30 meter water jet appeared every evening at the end to the building of the Forces Motrices. Not leaving people indifferent, it is in 1981 that the City of Geneva decided to promote it to the rank of touristic attraction and to create a new one on the pier of the Eaux-Vives.
Nowadays, its white plume rises 140 meters high, nearly 50 meters higher than the Statue of Liberty, making it visible by flying over the city at more than 10'000 meters above sea level. Triggered every morning by the guards who ensure its proper functioning, it is one of the emblems of the city, which considers it as a symbol of its ambition and vitality, but also its international renown.
On the Lac Léman or Lake Geneva, as the city's inhabitants will remind you, navigate beautiful vestiges of the Belle Epoque, golden age of tourism around Lake Geneva. These ships are particularly recognizable by their orange and black chimney. The artwork represents the boat La Suisse, commissioned in 1908 by the General Navigation Company on Lake Geneva (CGN) and built in 1909 by Sulzer Frères in Winterthur. In service in 1910, it was the largest steamship on the Swiss lakes. At the beginning of the 1970s, La Suisse makes journeys departures from Geneva, the CGN base route for which the boat was built. The boat has since been completely renovated, then listed as a historical monument and as a Swiss cultural property of national importance.